Re: What should I wear for a phone interview? LONG

Subject: Re: What should I wear for a phone interview? LONG
From: Win Day <winday -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 13:06:46 -0500

At 08:48 AM 15/01/2002 -0800, John Posada wrote:

<SNIP>

I'd like to introduce something that has never been discussed on this
list. We talk about knowing tools, knowing technical concepts,
knowing how to deal with associates. Something that has never been
discussed which I find invaluable is knowing how to speak. Not
knowing how to talk, but to speak. You speak during review sessions.
You speak when you are trying to convince someone(s) to give you
budget. You speak in conference calls.

Has anyone had specific training for this and what was it? I for one,
during HS, was involved in debating and other competition speaking
engagements between schools. Anyone else? How about Toastmasters?
Sales training (me...18 years sales)

I went the Toastmasters route while in high school in the early 1970s. When I took part of technical writing certificate program, one optional seminar series was on giving effective presentations. And I recently joined Business Networking International, whose weekly meeting format pretty much forces you to be able to discuss your business any time, any where, with anyone.

Probably the most valuable experience, though, was the many years I've spent singing in choirs. Auditioning in front of 5 people you know well is more intimidating than performing a solo in front of an audience of 500 people you DON'T know, at least for me. If you can do both, you're laughing. There isn't a speaking gig in the world that worries me any more.

Win

Win Day
Multimedia Developer

http://www.wordsplus.net
mailto:winday -at- wordsplus -dot- net

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr