Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!

Subject: Re: Editing Marks - Please Help!!!
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:43:52 -0800 (PST)

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Janice Gelb wrote:
>
> > I didn't realize it was a choice. I certainly expand on what I mean
> by a mark if it needs more explanation than just a delete sign or
> something, but I'm still a bit
> confused on how you mark up text without some sort of marks system. And
> if you're using one, why the standard one would be any more confusing
> than a made-up one.
>
> In extreme cases, I've found it necessary to give explanations for every
> error, and, instead of using any system of marks, to spell out
> "parallelism" or "lack of agreement." Again, let me stress that this
> isn't an ideal way to work. In fact, it's very cumbersome. But, at
> times, it's the only way I've found to be reasonably sure that the
> editing wasn't ignored.

*aha* Now we're getting somewhere. I don't use marks for things
like "parallelism or "lack of agreement." I use marks for
things like "delete this" or "start a new paragraph."

I suspect we've been talking at cross-purposes regarding what
we mean by proofreading marks, and that's why our experiences
have appeared to be so different.

> |> Even if they're not, aren't most of them relatively self-explanatory?
> Where are people getting confused?
>
> They probably only seem self-explanatory because you're used to them and
> have been using them for a long time. However, if you step back and
> imagine that you're seeing them for the first time, I think you'll find
> that they're no more self-explanatory than the alphabet.

As I said, an engineer who'd never been edited before didn't
have trouble with them, so the ones I'm referring to do seem
to work fairly well without much of an explanation.

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html