RE: Question about dressing for job interviews

Subject: RE: Question about dressing for job interviews
From: "Roy, Gary" <RoyG -at- hydroaire -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 11:10:12 -0800

I am assuming by this thread that an Eton dress coat, Lord West wing collar
pressed shirt, a white bow tie, onyx cufflinks, sock and trouser
suspenders, a splash of Brut 33 aftershave and wing tip shoes are no longer
appropriate attire for Tech. Writing interviews. ;-)

Gary Roy
Crane Aerospace
3000 Winona Avenue
Burbank, California
USA 91510

Tel.: 818.526.2600 ext. 3253
Fax: 818.842.6117

------------------
Emsahlstein wrote:

Hi,
I'm just getting started looking for a job and I'm wondering what people's
opinions are on the following question: Do you have to wear a suit? In my
former field (journalism) I tended to side with the people who say you
should
wear a suit no matter how casual the prospective workplace is, and I never
had any problems. But not that I'm in high-tech, well ... I wonder if the
people who came up with that rule anticipated anything like this business,
which is sometimes so casual that you risk (I think) looking out of touch if

you show up in a suit.

I've run this past a few of my tech writing colleagues here in Boston and
the
majority opinion I've gotten is: you should wear a suit to show respect for
the situation and, even if you look a little out of place on the day of the
interview, the interviewers should be understanding about that, given that
it's a job interview. In the same vein, the other comment I've heard is that

if you were a suit, it really can't count against you, but if you don't wear

a suit it can. Also, some have said that it's okay to dress down a bit on a
second interview, but make sure you wear a suit on the first. I'm starting
lean toward this point of view (the pro-suit view) but am wondering what
other people's thoughts are on this...?

thanks, em

This e-mail message has been scanned and cleared by MailMarshal
http://www.marshalsoftware.com

RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing
Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr