Re[2]: Alone from the start

Subject: Re[2]: Alone from the start
From: Rebecca Rachmany <purple -at- isdn -dot- net -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 09:46:17 +0200

Milan Davidovic wrote:

>Has anyone on this list been the lone writer on their
>*very first* job (i.e. working in-house) or project?

Indeed. Not only was I the only technical writer but I was thrown into
managing a subcontractor who was incredibly unprofessional. Basically
they were providing DTP services to 200 engineers before I showed up
as the company's lone technical writer. It didn't take me long to
figure out that they sucked, but it took me a long time to find a
contractor I wanted instead. I chose a subcontracting firm which had
been in the field for a decade and where most of the writers were old
enough to be my father. Obviously, I pumped the sub-contractor for all the
professional information I could. It was an incredible learning
experience, and I am glad I did it. I could never have advanced as quickly as I did by
joining a team of writers.

Rebecca Rachmany
mailto:purple -at- isdn -dot- net -dot- il
PO Box 1384 Hod Hasharon 45112
972-9-7419456