Re: Alone from the start (was: Documentation planning)

Subject: Re: Alone from the start (was: Documentation planning)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 13:21:17 -0800

Milan Davidovic wrote:

Has anyone on this list been the lone writer on their
*very first* job (i.e. working in-house) or project?
If you had to do it again, would you still plunge in
or would you wait for a gig that put you in the
company of other more experienced writers?

I was. It was rough at the time, but it taught me far more far faster than being a junior member of a team could possibly have done. The contract lasted six months,and, by the time I left, I was so used to taking responsibility that I could handle almost aspect of the job.

Of course, you might compare it to learning to swim by being thrown into the deep end - but it was effective.

But would I do it again? On the whole, yes. I not only like writing, but I also like the managerial side of it, the scheduling of deliverables, the organization of reviewing and the like. So delving into that side of the job early on was very satisfying to me, all the more so because contracting has always been more attractive than permanent work. Probably,though, someone who didn't want to manage or contract wouldn't appreciate it as much.

"Now everything's lurching out of control, they're infiltrating my head,
When I woke up this morning, they were all around my bed,
If I knew who the enemy was, I'd shoot the bastard - dead."
-Leon Rosselson, "Somebody's Stolen the End of My Dream"

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr