RE: Business issues, documentation and editors

Subject: RE: Business issues, documentation and editors
From: Jim Shaeffer <jims -at- spsi -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 16:48:35 -0500

I had been thinking about similar points raised in other
posts.
I used to tell some of my computer classes that I was just
doing toolbox training. I had time to train them on the tools
found in the word processor or spreadsheet but not to address
how to structure a complex document.
If I document how to use each of the tools in a carpenter's
toolbox, I have _not_ documented how to build a house. But, in
the case of a generalized tool (like a word processor), I cannot
predict whether the user is building a house, a cabinet or a
pedestal for a statue.
In the case of the users of the software I document, many business
processes that would provide context are considered proprietary
information. Such business process differences are used by our
customers to differentiate themselves (our customers compete with
one another). (Sometimes makes for interesting User Conferences.)
I struggle to work around the apparent dilemmas.
Also, thanks to Steven Brown for asking some good questions.
His post arrived as I was finishing this one.

Jim Shaeffer (jims -at- spsi -dot- com)