RE: Canadian Jobs

Subject: RE: Canadian Jobs
From: "Karen E. Black" <kblack_text -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 10:14:55 -0500

--- Bruce Goett asks: --------
Where the heck are all the Canadian jobs? I did a search for tech writing
jobs this morning on Dice.com. The results were 1851 jobs in the U.S. and .
. . . . . . 5 in Canada.

From: Michele Marques <MarquesM -at- autros -dot- com>
SNIP
But I do admit that things are really slow for technical writers ... For example, a few years
ago Nortel was hiring like crazy in Ontario, and recently they've been
laying off thousands (probably including tech writers).

Definitely including tech writers. In the first round of layoffs, everyone I knew (in Messaging documentation -- about 10) when I contracted there was laid off. A couple were rehired, then laid off again less than a year later. They all found other jobs very quickly, because of having Nortel on our résumés.

My current company was using head-hunters to scan job boards and recommend candidates. They don't now, because the hiring flurry is over and the costs were heavy.

Attention ForeHelp and Doc-to-Help Users! Upgrade your existing product to RoboHelp for FREE, through January 15th. RoboHelp can import your existing Help projects! Learn how else RoboHelp can benefit you. www.ehelp.com/techwr