Re: Local Networking

Subject: Re: Local Networking
From: Kat Nagel <katnagel -at- bluefrognet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 07:49:51 -0500

At 9:58 PM -0800 1/6/02, David Bazell wrote:

I am not in Colorado but this made me think. Is there any way within
employment section of the web page people could list contact information by
state or something. This might be fun.

I believe some STC chapters have local mailing lists. It's been discussed several times at our Council meetings in the past few years, and will probably be brought up again this year. If I'm remembering correctly from my conversations with several local list managers in Chicago last year, the most successful lists are not limited to chapter members. Those chapters advertised the list heavily, did not require STC membership to join the list, and had some simple Terms of Service policies that kept discussions civil.

It might be worth your while to start a similar program for technical writers in your area, perhaps with the support (volunteers, shared membership lists) of STC, NWU, and other communications-related organizations.

--
Kat Nagel
MasterWork Consulting Services

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr