hello

Subject: hello
From: "CP" <powell -at- club-internet -dot- fr>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 15:19:25 +0100

Hi,
I am new to this list, my name is Chris Powell, I have been a technical
writer for about now 15 years. I've been living in France for about 6 years
now and technical wrting isnt really the thing here. So I alos work as a
technical translater, specialized in telecommunictions, transportation etc
and I teach at companies, who need theire employees to learn English. I have
a technical writing certificate from UNT, Texas, and did almost all the
classes relating to the master's degree, which I did not have time to finish
for professional reasons. In France, I'm going to law school. I am
interested about what Maaike said about technical writing associations in
France, could he tell us/me more; I would like to join some organization
because here, they look at you as if you were an alien from out of space
when you tell them there is such a thing as a technical writing degree (up
to the doctorate), that there are organizations dedicated to it, etc.. I
feel quite a loner. I live in Alsace, close to Germany and Switzerland,
close to Strasbourg, --which is quite international--but not when it comes
to technical writing.. rather an intellectual circle with plays etc .. in
English --which dont interest me much. Sorry, I've never been very much of
someone interested in litterature, I get more fun out of reading technical
stuff and translating stuff relating to cranes than reading Shakespeare..
I wish you all a happy new year and find this list very interesting.
Chris