Create a Word Template

Subject: Create a Word Template
From: Liz -dot- Goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 09:09:19 -0500

Hi Steve,

We don't use Word - we use Pagemaker, but the idea of the template is the
same. We are 4 tech writers in one division of a large company but in 3
different locations. We met and hashed out what we wanted our documentation
to look like. Here are the elements that we incorporated in our template.

margins
footers and page numbering (left page- chapter# and page# and manual
title) (right page - Chapter title, chapter # and page#)
headers (we don't use any for a cleaner look)
Graphic, Table, Illustration placement

Styles
Chapter Title (font, size, attributes, spacing above and below, position on
the page, include in TOC?)
Heading 1
Heading 2
Heading 3
Heading 4

Body Text (font, size, leading, margins)

Body Bulleted (indent spacing, bullet type, spacing above/below text)
Body Bulleted 2 (2nd indent)
Body Bulleted for Numbers

Note
Caution
Warning

TOC
Chapters
1st heading (font, size, attributes, tab leader for page numbering)
2nd heading
3rd heading

Graphic caption (style and position)

We also decided on:
How the introductory section (cover, office locations, warnings,
certifications, etc.) section should look
Sequence of chapters
Appendix
Supplemental Information
Type of tabs to use
How to present the manual (3-ring binder, white, clear covers)
How to name the text files (1_Product A, 2_Product A, etc.)
How to name the graphics files (Fig 3-1_Product A)
How to store the files (folder names and contents) (Text, Images, Working
Images, PDFs)
Where to archive the files - we use Source Safe.

This now allows us to work on each other's documentation through e-mail or
pdfs when necessary.

Liz Goodwin
Technical Writer, Dycor
AMETEK, P&AI
liz -dot- goodwin -at- ametek -dot- com

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr