The end of the road for ForeHelp

Subject: The end of the road for ForeHelp
From: aoslick -at- hteinc -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 6:56:46

Help authoring tool (HAT) users may want to know that ForeFront announced
today, Jan. 2, that it is "closing its doors" effective January 10, 2002.
It is passing its technologies to ComponentOne. For the announcements, see
http://home.componentone.com//ff.htm

My firm is still using ForeHelp 3.0, which is designed to work with
Micosoft's Windows 3.1/95 WinHelp. We've been happy with the product.
As we are planning to put help info on-line, on a server rather than on
each client, I was about to talk up our upgrading to ForeHelp 5.0, which
adopted WinHelp and the Windows 98/2000 Help 1.x standard. A product
compatible with Help 2.x (not ForeHelp 5) would provide support for XML and
DHTML.

A tip of the HAT to a solid product,

Regards, Alan Oslick
aoslick -at- hteinc -dot- com

P.S. I had queried ForeFront as to whether they planned to release a
ForeHelp version that would incorporate the prospective Microsoft Help 2.x
standards. Their response, a notice of their demise. And, oh yes, I
checked with Eric before posting this message to ensure that this message
wouldn't be regarded as an advt.

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr