Create a Word Template

Subject: Create a Word Template
From: Steve Lefevers <scl -at- pcisys -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 15:56:21 -0700

My Email Address is scl -at- pcisys -dot- net

I?m trying to establish a Technical Writing Basic Model in MS Word 97 for
Creating New Templates. This Template would be used for a hardcopy
manual, book, or possibly software documentation on a computer.
Can anyone give me a basic step-by-step sequence for creating a Template?

I?ve looked all over the Internet trying to find basic info on this
procedure.
The only thing I found was John Mcghie?s article at this site
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm

John?s explanation is excellent yet quite elaborate (he certainly knows his
trade) but I get the feeling that some of the steps he outlines may be
optional and not always necessary in creating a Template for a Technical
Writing Document.

His basic Setup Steps in sequence are as follows:
File Properties
Printer
Page Layout
Page Margins
Header Footer
Page Numbers
Section Breaks
Table of Contents
Index Styles
Space Above ? Space Below
Fonts
Headings
Body Text
List Styles (Bullets and Numbers)
Tabs
Tables

Can anyone outline for me, your basic step-by-step procedure when you create
a New Template for a Technical Document?

What do you configure and in what order? Does the Sequence matter?

What do You Define Styles for? Header-Footer, Table of Contents, What?

Are there General Default Settings for the following items? What Settings do
you use?

Page Setup
Margins ? Do You justify ? Any Generic Settings (i.e. 1? Left and Right)
Page Numbering
Header-Footer
Section Breaks ? Do You use them at all? If so How?
Table of Contents
Headings
Fonts ? What Type for Heading? for Body text?
Body Text (Paragraph and Character Styles)
List Styles (Bullets and Numbers)
Tabs ? Is there a generic setting for these? .5?
Tables
Have I forgotten any?

Which of the above do you Define Styles For?
Do you use one of Word?s Built-In Styles or Create your own Custom Style?

John says to avoid Direct Formatting and to use Format-Style to configure
all your Formatting and Styles. Do you agree?

Thanks
Steve