media enquiry-your help for an article about layoffs

Subject: media enquiry-your help for an article about layoffs
From: "Stephanie O'Hanley" <sohanley -at- total -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 17:56:30 -0500

Hi. I'm freelancing an article for Hour magazine (in Montreal, Canada) about
severance packages from Montreal-area dot-com and high-tech companies. I'm
looking to talk to people who were laid off in 2001 about their experiences.
Sorry about the timing (holiday season)-my deadline is January 3rd.

To protect privacy I won't be using names. My goal isn't to get people in
trouble. I simply want to give readers an idea of the severance packages
people received when they were laid off. I think people outside the industry
may think all severance packages were generous.

Here's what I'm trying to find out:

If you were laid off in 2001:

May I mention your former company's name in the article?

When were you laid off? How many people were laid off with you? How many
people did your company lay off in 2001? How many employees did your company
have before the layoffs?

In terms of size, did your former company have less than 100 employees,
between 100 and 200 employees or more than 200 employees?

Did Sept. 11 factor in company layoffs?

How many weeks/months' worth of wages did you receive in your severance
package?

What else was included in your severance package (counseling, job hunting
advice etc.)

Were the terms of your severance package negotiable?

Did the terms of your severance package allow you to be rehired by your
former employer when things pick up?

Do you know anyone else I could talk to about being laid off? Would it be
possible for you to refer me to them?

If you can help, my e-mail address is sohanley -at- total -dot- net ; tel:
514-487-3485.

Thanks and best wishes,

Stephanie O'Hanley

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when
you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr