Re: Dvorak keyboard

Subject: Re: Dvorak keyboard
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 15:07:59 -0500

Do any of you use the Dvorak keyboard layout?

If so, I wondered:

1) How hard is it to get accustomed to if you've been a QWERTY typist for
a LONG time?

I was working at about 30 to 40 wpm (peaking at 45 wpm) when I started getting twinges of pain that I self-diagnosed as a repetitive strain disorder. I had read about Dvorak and wanted to try it but the only machine I could try was an Apple IIC (pre '84). I hadn't the money to get one so I tried to install it on my trusty Commodore 64 with a utility that I found. It was a hassel. I gave up.

After the pain set in, I decided to try again. I installed it on my MAC laptop (It's included with the operating system) and set the changover for a time after an extended summer vacation as recommended by the people I talked to. I now use it all the time on my laptop and desktop. I got a copy of Mavis Beacon typing tutor to help and it worked! It took about two weeks to unlearn QWERTY and relearn DVORAK.

2) Can you mentally shift back and forth (for example, when circumstances
dictate that you use somebody else's QWERTY machine)?

Don't. I did for awhile against published advice. Both suffered. I decided to commit myself to Dvorak. Now I have to hunt and peck when using another machine. I travel with my laptop. The keycaps have been switched for those who must use _my_ keyboard and don't know Dvorak. I have a standard QWERTY keyboard on the desktop but I don't look at it or I'll become confused. I learned Dvorak touch typing including the numbers and symbols. When I learned QWERTY, I never learned the numbers and symbols. I guess I should have; but, I didn't.

I'm also interested in hearing from anybody who has tried and discarded
the Dvorak system, finding it does not serve their purposes.

Thanks!

- Keith Cronin

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr

Sponsored by eHelp Corporation, makers of RoboHelp - the industry standard
in Help authoring. Download a trial version today or get special savings when you buy the RoboHelp 2002 Holiday Edition. Visit http://www.ehelp.com/techwr