RE: Thinking in A4

Subject: RE: Thinking in A4
From: "Jochim, Rainer 3139 S-PP-RD-QA2" <Rainer -dot- Jochim -at- de -dot- heidelberg -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 12:50:27 +0100

The A formats are indeed metric even though the width and the height values
seem to be pretty odd.

The A0 format (841 mm x 1189 mm, the values are rounded) equals one square
meter with a width to heigth ratio of 1 to the square root of two (1 to
1.4142).

Folding such a sheet (e.g. A0) into two smaller ones results in two pages of
the next smaller standard format with the same proportions (A1).

A4 is 210 x 297 mm or 1/16th of a square meter or A0 folded four times.

;-)
Rainer

[...]
> Whilst it's always best to think in centimetres or millimetres :-)
> it should not assumed that A4 paper is designed with that in
> mind, [...]

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr