RE: Quality of source material from Development

Subject: RE: Quality of source material from Development
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 13:32:20 -0800

Bruce,

Interesting poem. I like it.

There aren't really only two types of thinkers. Perhaps at a
sufficiently high granularity, there are two archetypes of thinkers, but
even that is a stretch.

In the Briggs-Meyers personality tests, they attempt to explain that
miscommunication is a function of personality type. In the Programmer's
Stone they show that it is more probably the result of how they think
and their mental maps.

After reading it, I realized that many of the most obdurate people I've
had to deal with exhibit "packer" tendencies in their thinking. They
have difficulty in seeing the similarities in things and seem to focus
on treating each idea or concept as something totally new, requiring a
systematic examination starting at square one. I tend to take something
new, run a mental version of diff on it and examine the results. I find
that there is much less ground to cover when learning new things this
way.

John