RE: Quality of source material from Development

Subject: RE: Quality of source material from Development
From: "Gilger.John" <JGilger -at- acresgaming -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 12:40:24 -0800

-----Original Message-----
From: Bruce Byfield [mailto:bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com]

> At 07:16 AM 12/14/2001 -0700, "Eric J. Ray wrote:
>
>> Whew. I was afraid I'd have to write all this up, but
>> was saved the trouble:

<snip>
Drawing connections, making analogies, and seeing the higher level
structure are all invaluable for organizing information. Moreover, lack
of these skills is probably responsible for more muddy thinking than
anything else, even personal bias.
<snip>

Some time ago I read a thesis on methods of thought at
http://www.melloworld.com/ProgStone/ProgStone.html. It is an interesting
piece that ties into this discussion about developers and the input they
provide. It is long but well worth your time to read.

In a very succinct nutshell, there are two types of thinkers, "mappers"
and "packers". Mappers think in a fashion similar to a relational
database (Oracle) whereas packers think in a fashion more nearly akin to
an old heirarchial database (DBIII). These divergent thought processses
are the source of major communication problems.

John Gilger
Senior Technical Writer
Acres Gaming, Inc.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr