RE: Users vs. usage

Subject: RE: Users vs. usage
From: "Paula Puffer" <pap -at- binkleybarfield -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 15:09:06 -0600

Shauna:

I would write it with the comma outside the quotes. In hosting chats
with technologically-challenged people for a non-profit org, I have seen
them
type commands for the chat program *exactly* as I wrote it. That meant I
ended up with users called "your_nickname_here." This is despite telling
them in the instruction that they can substitute whatever they want for
the your_nickname_here.

Paula Puffer
pap -at- binkleybarfield -dot- com

Shauna writes:
<clipped for brevity, explains the user in her case>

Usage question:
In this case, if it becomes necessary to include a comma after the
quote-enclosed text (for the sake of the appropriate pause needed in the

sentence describing the step to be taken), would you prefer to place it
inside or outside of the quote marks?

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,000 retailers. And it's
affordable. Join our almost 10,000 published authors today.
http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr