Word and printing problems

Subject: Word and printing problems
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2001 10:22:26 -0500

Hi,

The question:

Why won't Word print the pages of a file? It will print them if printed as File/Print/Current Page, but not by specifying "All" or a print range.

The background:

Once upon a time my father wrote a book (about his escape from a Communist hard-labor prison in Czecholslovakia). He wrote it on an Apple Powerbook 150 with whatever version of Word we were using in 1994. (maybe 1993?) He died in 1996. The files have been moved to various machines, stuffed, unstuffed, opened/saved in various versions of Word both Apple and PC and are now converted to MS Word 2000 on a PC - where they were edited on one machine, zipped and emailed to me. I'm trying to print them off my PC.

The problem:

Each chapter is a file. Most of them won't print the whole chapter. If I choose "print all" some will print the last 3 pages of the file. Adding a page break and getting it to print doesn't reveal any consistency. Other files will print if I specify the range, but not all of them. I've tried to "select all" and copy to a new file. Same problem. I've tried to print as .txt, .rtf etc.

I'm sure that the problem was created by all the transformations over the years. Anyone know how I can fix it, so I can print a chapter at a time? I could take it back to a Mac - that's the one thing I haven't tried yet..

Thanks for your help.

--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Silver Spring, MD

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr