Re: no degree equals demotion

Subject: Re: no degree equals demotion
From: Annamarie Pluhar <apluhar -at- mindspring -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 08:53:56 -0500

Agreed. This is an opportunity for your manager to go to bat for you with the HR department. S/He should recognize that your demotion based on imposed institutional rules will affect morale within her department. Time for her/him to be a manager.

Agreed. If they don't do this, start looking to move on.

Good luck.

I think your case deserves special attention in your
company. You *are* working toward the degree, and have
put in 4 years of work, which I'm guessing were 4 good
years that the company has benefitted from.

I would talk to your manager and the HR manager to
settle this. I think the demotion based on degree
alone is not a wise or fair decision. If your work
meets or exceeds that of the other writers who have
degrees, then this is an unfair change.

Will your pay be cut as a result?

Also, formal education does not equal a better
technical writer. I've known some damn good technical
writers - some senior level - who never even went to
college.
--
Annamarie Pluhar

IDD Tech Solutions
Instructional design and development for technology.

(301) 588 - 4001
(301) 646 - 5002 (Mobile)
apluhar -at- iddtechsolutions -dot- com
Silver Spring, MD

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr