Re: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please

Subject: Re: Telecommuting Job Search Advice Needed Please
From: Jean Weber <jean -at- wrevenge -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 16:56:37 +1000

Hello Peter or Anna,
I think these jobs are extremely scarce, and in most cases you really need to create them yourself; they won't be posted on the job boards. Very few companies will hire someone they don't already know to telecommute 100% of the time; a few will (those that have all - or almost all - of their staff telecommuting), but they are rare.

You might have a bit better luck picking up short-term or part-time contract work. I find that sort of thing mainly through networking, reading appropriate lists, and responding to leads. Most of the jobs that I've noticed on lists like those you mentioned are for what I consider very poorly-paid work, but you might find being poorly paid preferable to not being paid at all (grin). I haven't used any of those services in several years, so I don't know if they are any good or not.

You'll have to be very pro-active (and innovative) to be successful in your search. I've collected some hints for jobseeking on this page, which is mainly for technical editors but you can translate the hints for techwriting easily enough.

http://www.jeanweber.com/abpit/findwork.htm

Regards, Jean
Jean Hollis Weber
mailto:jean -at- jeanweber -dot- com

At 08:27 PM 6/12/2001 -0700, Peter & Anna Paige wrote:

I'm looking for job boards that routinely post telecommuting jobs for tech
writers. I've noticed that, often, employers offer local telecommuting as an
option part of the time. However, I live in a remote area and am looking to
telecommute 100% of the time. Either these jobs are extremely scarce or I'm
just not looking in the right places. What are your recs? I'd appreciate any
advice on how to go about finding a telecommuting job. FWIW, has anyone had
any experience with www.telecommute-jobs.com or www.telecommuting.com? I
thought I'd check here before springing for a subscription.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr