RE: Re: Bringing in the leads--contract work

Subject: RE: Re: Bringing in the leads--contract work
From: bobbykennedy44 -at- netscape -dot- net (Robert B. Kennedy)
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2001 22:07:09 -0500

Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

>Cold-calling. Its depressing, but its the only way to get in the door. You
>have to market yourself and services to every company in town.
>
>The best way to get leads is to get your hands on a copy of the local
>chamber of commerce directory or the local Business Journal's book of
>lists. Then start systematically going through the book and contacting
>companies.

Another suggestion:

Tap the online databases of these resources -- just about every Chamber
has them, and in the Research Triangle area there should be Tech Councils,
Associations, etc. galore with databases (just as there are in Central NJ).
Better yet -- it's often free!

For all the pooh-pooher's: I've pasted a URL below
to a DB. This business newspaper sells this data on disc
and it's not cheap! Yet this data is free to
John Q. TechWriter. (Just don't move to Princeton, OK?)

http://www.princetoninfo.com/busdir.html

1) Insert that data into Acrobat 5.0

2) Create a script that appeals to how
desperate companies are for letting perm.
employees go... (shortfalls, tighter deadlines, etc...)

Mr. X, I've helped software companies like yours
in these tough times by...

Find their pain -- they have it! Don't believe
they don't. The work is out there, it just pays
less and is sometimes less pleasant.

3) Practice the script on a tape recorder until
you could sell Andrew Plato confidence lessons!

4) From your Acrobat list, hit the URL's
to research companies -- you'll find all sorts
of things pop up as starting points ("I noticed
you have a Beta coming out in 2 months.")

5) Call, call, call -- and play the numbers
ruthlessly. Sometimes the only consolation
you'll have when you're utterly rejected is
that they were call 49 and they will gain
no satisfaction by being rude to you. (Because
five of those calls showed real interest.)

6) Make notes on your Acrobat file, and
follow up on anything that looks promising.

If you genuinely want to help
businesses and are genuinely motivated,
you will succeed.

Best of Luck!