Re: Peer edits

Subject: Re: Peer edits
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:55:06 -0800

Dave Stewart wrote:

My company will be instituting a peer editing process in the coming weeks.

When I was teaching composition at university, I found that one of the most useful forms of peer editing was reader response criticism. In reader response, the editor goes over the manuscript with the writer beside them, and comments on their experience as readers. Sometimes, the editor reads aloud.

The advantage of this approach is that the editor doesn't need any specialized skills or knowledge. He or she is simply talking about what they don't understand, or where they have no trouble reading.

You might want to consider this approach. It's time-consuming, but very effective.

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed: head over heels all over the wall,
Humpty Dumpty was pushed: nobody noticed at all,
And all the king's horses and all the king's men
Gathered round Humpty and kicked him again;
And they called for a priest and a couple of friends,
And they all stood around and chanted, Amen."
-Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr