Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting

Subject: Re: Ethics and Job-Hunting
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:51:15 -0800

Gilger.John wrote:

Obviously a fallacious assumption.

I believe that for most of us writing documentation is JUST A JOB. It
pays the bills and allows us to enjoy life with our families and other
priorities. It doesn't really matter what the subject is, we just do our
best to explain it.

I agree more so than not. However, while it might be fallacious to assume that you advocate a product, it might be a reasonable assumption that you didn't actively object to it.

And don't forget, too, that people are going to assume that you advocate the product, almost automatically, and despite anything you say.
For example, because I have worked for several Linux companies, many people assume that I'm violently anti-Microsoft, and love all the endless variations on Tux, the Linux mascot. It doesn't matter how often I say that Microsoft is mostly irrelevant to me, and that at two companies I instituted a "no-Tux" policy in marketing.

It may be just a job to us, but, to other people, where we work helps them decide what they think of us.

"Humpty Dumpty was pushed: head over heels all over the wall,
Humpty Dumpty was pushed: nobody noticed at all,
And all the king's horses and all the king's men
Gathered round Humpty and kicked him again;
And they called for a priest and a couple of friends,
And they all stood around and chanted, Amen."
-Tommy Sands, "Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr