Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:46:40 -0800 (PST)

In article 9A4B2157EFDBE546BECD68C62AC3B1C8A67569 -at- es05snlnt, lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov ("Christensen, Kent") writes:

>More: I see another responding post that indicates their style manual
>essentially combines rules indicated here for WARNING and CAUTION. Doesn't
>seem as safety conscious as possible to me and sugest this be revisited.

That was me and we eliminated WARNING only when told to do so
by our compliance engineer. The UL, which tests and
approves our equipment, changed their own regulations in
this way. We describe very carefully when to use Cautions
and the symbols to use with them.

In his mail to us, the compliance engineer cited the following
sources, although I have been unable to find them on the web:

The "Markings and instructions." section of IEC 950,
UL 1950 and EN60950, Section 7, in particular Section
1.7.2 "Safety Instructions" contain the requirements
for precautions. The international standards for
markings and symbols, IEC 417 and ISO 7000, contain
additional information.

[When I tried to look these up, one of the hits provided
by the search engine was to a Techwr-l post of mine in
June 1998 on the same subject :-> ]

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with
janice -dot- gelb -at- marvin -dot- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | this message is the return address.