Re: Work harder not smarter

Subject: Re: Work harder not smarter
From: Gwyneth Runnings <gwyneth -at- look -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:20:43 -0800

if you are not ready for a rant do not read on:

<rant>
Planning is not "wasted" time. "Wasted" time is rewriting, re-editing, reformulating and maintaining massive documentation that barely anyone can use and pretending that you are doing your job because you produced a lot of pages. We are technical communicators, not writers. If you see your job as just getting a document completed, then maybe working harder will help you, but it isn't going to help your user. Our function is to provide usable information not just information. This cannot be done by "working harder" it can only be done by "working smarter." Working smarter is using facts to provide a framework for repeatable successes. If you don't make needs assessments or document user profiles for future reference, work that you do today will have to be repeated by someone else down the line. Maybe even you and sooner than you think. And that person won't be thanking you for the hard work that they get to repeat because you thought that planning was a waste of time.
</rant>

sorry, I'm out sick today and I had to get that off my chest!

g ..

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr