Re: Necessity of Doc Plans for a Single Chapter or Section

Subject: Re: Necessity of Doc Plans for a Single Chapter or Section
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 10:24:25 -0800 (PST)

<SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com> wrote

> I don't think we are discussing the same scenario.
>
> The scenario I have in mind, which I believe the original posting
concerned,
> was a document where only one chapter is being revised. I think a doc
plan is
> necessary, and certainly advisable, for all projects, even a minor
update of
> an existing document.

I disagree. I think it would be a waste of time...especially for the
exact scenario described.

> To address the scenario I think Andrew has in mind, what if you're
already
> working on a project and something changes? I think depending on the
scope of
> the change, you can just do it under the original plan, but you should
amend
> the doc plan if the change is substantial enough. Call it CYA if you
want: I
> prefer to think of it as tracking changes and understanding why
schedules or
> resource allocation might have to change. (I swear, sometimes dealing
with
> project managers can be like playing backgammon: every time I turn
around
> they want to double the amount of work 8^(

There is a substantial difference between time management and tracking
changes and writing doc plans. Keeping track of your time and tracking
changes in a document are one thing.

If my project managers were constantly asking me to double my work load, I
would be asking myself: "is there something wrong here?" I surely would
not morph in CYA mode and begin documenting my every move. This wouldn't
solve the problem, it would just heap a ton of clerical work atop my
already busy schedule.

The CYA mentality is destructive, petty, and counterproductive. Constant
nitpicking and record-keeping does not going to get the job done. Results
are what matter. Get the job done in whatever manner works for you. But
don't make nonsense work for yourself because some loudmouth at an STC
conference told you that all the other reindeer were doing it. Remember
what your Dad said: "if all the kids were jumping off a cliff, would you
jump too?"

Well, just because all the other tech writers say "write a doc plan,
obsess over procedures, and don't bother with technical education" doesn't
mean you should follow them.

Andrew Plato

http://personals.yahoo.com