Doc plans and doc list questions

Subject: Doc plans and doc list questions
From: "Kane, Beth" <Beth -dot- Kane -at- ncslearn -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:56:37 -0600

While we're on the subject, has anyone ever created doc plans using
Microsoft Project? If so, do you have any advice for me specific to using it
for doc plans? I'm just getting started looking at MS Project, have no
experience in it.

I recently attended an excellent project management presentation by Lance
Gelein, and he said if your managers are using MS Project, it can be a good
idea for you to use it too (for more reasons than I want to get into here).
So I thought I'd give it a try.

You don't need to remind me not to get too deeply into planning. I come from
a long background of having NO formal doc plans, so I'm not interested in
wasting much time on it. ;-)

I'm also creating a list of all docs produced, their descriptions and
release dates, etc. I'm thinking of using Excel for that, or just a Word
table. Any advice on that front is really welcome, too. It seems that no one
here has ever created such a list (I'm new at this company).

Thanks very much,

Beth Kane
Sr. Technical Writer
NCS Learn