Re: difficult screenshot questions

Subject: Re: difficult screenshot questions
From: Stan Schwartz <stanz -at- cam -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 14:55:42 -0500

Hi
Please help if you can.
If the resolution of a 1024x768 screen set at 256 colors is approximately 120 dpi, what is the resolution for a 1152x864 screen?
How can I set up scaling in SnagIt or in any screen capture utility so that I can set up the size of the capture in pixels to equal
5.25"
6.75"
3.5"?
In other words, what width would I set the pixels in to equal the sizes above in inches?

Thanks so much, so very, very much.

Nancy,
The resolution of the screen does not change: in other words, it is hardware dependant. If the brand of the monitor is the same, use the same pitch (120 dpi)

I use the following guidelines: windows drivers use 96 dpi regardless of the screen size. Macs use 72 dpi regardless of the screen size. The pixel size does not change. A bigger screen uses more pixels. A screen that uses 1152 x 864 pixels is 12 inches by 9 inches (1152/96 x 864/96).

The colour issue comes into play when you have memory requirements to support the bit depth for the screen buffer. You need a bigger screen buffer (more memory) for more colours to display onscreen - other factors not withstanding. This becomes an issue when the screen buffer is fixed. If the memory is fixed, then there must be a tradeoff - more pixels with less bit depth (and fewer colours available for each pixel) or fewer pixels (lower resolution, aliasing, screen artifacts, etc.) with greater pixel depth.

Thus, your requirements are obtained by multiplying the screen size desired by the screen resolution.
5.25 x 96 = 504 pxls., 6.75 x 96 = 648, 3.5 x 96 = 336.

Collect Royalties, Not Rejection Letters! Tell us your rejection story when you submit your manuscript to iUniverse Nov. 6 -Dec. 15 and get five free copies of your book. What are you waiting for? http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr