Re: Freelance ethical dilemma

Subject: Re: Freelance ethical dilemma
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2001 13:59:44 -0800

Emily Cotlier wrote:

I'm going to talk about this with him when we meet again in two days; I want
to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem. Something like: "Isn't
this more in X's area? I like working with you a lot, but she's probably got
better marketing skills to give this the right spin. And if I was in her
role, I'd be upset if you didn't come to me with this first." Has anyone
else dealt with a similar situation, as a freelancer or contractor?
Not exactly, but, as a frequent contractor, I'm a firm believer in staying on good terms with regular clients. For what it's worth, I think that the way you plan to handle the situation sounds reasonable.

Another tactic you might try is to invite the marketing person to the meeting. If you other contact questions the invitation, just explain that you thought that, sinc e the topic falls under her responsibility, you thought she should be there. Then let the two of them decide how to handle the matter.

"The gates of hell are guarded by a pair of vicious dogs,
And Hannibal was thwarted by some flaming Roman hogs
Me, I was defeated by the ferry schedule
Now I'm standing on the dockside in twenty pounds of sopping wool."
-James Keelaghan, "Departure Bay"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr