RE: Help without manuals

Subject: RE: Help without manuals
From: "Yigal Rahamim" <yigal -at- tds -dot- co -dot- il>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 15:26:41 +0200

David Hi,

Thanks for your comments. I really didn't mean to open here a debate on
which tool is better.
I agree that there is a difference between Help authoring tools like
ForeHelp and RoboHelp and a tool like WebWorks Publisher.
I personally do not believe in full single-sourcing. I think that this makes
us more technicians and less writers. I agree that in large scale
documentation projects this is a must and have been developing a utility
called doc++ in the early 90s that used Word 6 to create object oriented
documentation. From my perspective single sourcing is a constrain. However
sometimes you don't have other choice. If this is case I found that tools
like Epic from Arbortext are the best way to handle single-sourcing because
real single sourcing require management through database.

By using the combination of FrameMaker and ForeHelp I think that I found the
compromise between the writer concerns to create usable help and print
documentation, and the organization's productivity and quality requirements.
This is what I call "discount" single-sourcing. It is hard to solve problems
when you see things in black and white.

ForeHelp maintain most of the information included in the MIF file. Before
you import the file into ForeHelp you map the styles, so if you make changes
in FM
re-import the MIF to FM you won't have to start formatting all over again.
What's nice in this method is that you still have the capabilities of a
great Help authoring tool to create usable help, and you still save time!!

ForeFront has written a white paper on this feature. You can find it at
http://www.ff.com/PDFs/Frame_Import.pdf

I have tried that and it works. Of course there are some things to improve,
but it worked for me and for my clients.

As I mentioned in my recent email RoboHelp has just came out with the new
version that includes an import feature of FrameMaker MIF files. I haven't
checked this feature yet so I don't know if it does the same.

Regards,

Yigal

Yigal Rahamim
Certified ForeHelp Trainer
TDS - Training & Documentation Solutions Ltd.
31 Lehi St, Bnei-Brak 51200 Israel
Tel: +972-3-5782818 Fax: +972-3-5782820
email: mailto:yigal -at- tds -dot- co -dot- il
Visit Our Web Site: http://www.tds.co.il/