Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?

Subject: Re: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?
From: Megan Golding <mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: 07 Nov 2001 15:59:14 -0500

On Wed, 2001-11-07 at 15:16, Lois Patterson wrote:
[snip]

> 1. If you have a staff position, do you have a budget for books you can
> purchase? How much is it?

Not a formal budget.

> 2. What topics do you like to purchase technical books about?

Computer software. UNIX, Linux, web, programming. Often, I'll buy a book
just 'cause the topic sounds interesting. In this manner, I've bought
_CGI Programming with Perl_, _Learning Perl_, _Learning the Bash Shell_,
and other O'Reilly books.

As I ease myself into Linux and Open Source development, I'm finding
more and more reading can be done purely on line.

> 3. Do you find it unnecessary to purchase technical books with so much
> information available online?

No. I purchase books on "big picture" topics and rely (very heavily) on
on-line material for the HOWTO aspects. Case in point: DocBook. I own
the 'duck book', and read the intro chapters for the philosophy
information. However, I rely on the on-line version of the complete book
for reference info.

> 4. How much do you spend personally on technical books per year?

I spend about $250 each year on books related to computer stuff. My
company is willing to reimburse for some books, but they become company
property, so I pay for them myself.

--

Megan Golding (mgolding -at- secureworks -dot- net)
SecureWorks, Inc.

Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is
indistinguishable from molasses.
-- Unknown

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr