Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?

Subject: Informal Poll - how many technical books do you buy?
From: Lois Patterson <lois -at- dowco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Nov 2001 13:16:20 -0700

I don't expect anything like scientific accuracy from this question, but I'm
interested in anecdotal responses.

The way I'm using the term "technical books" here is to mean books that are
related to computer software or hardware, engineering topics, and/or books
specifically related to your work. (For example, a genetics book for someone
working in a biotech startup would be related to work for that person, but
not for someone working in a business software company.)

1. If you have a staff position, do you have a budget for books you can
purchase? How much is it?

2. What topics do you like to purchase technical books about?

3. Do you find it unnecessary to purchase technical books with so much
information available online?

4. How much do you spend personally on technical books per year?

(Since I'm starting the discussion, I'll answer the questions myself.)
1. N/A
2. Java, database development, software engineering and analysis, Linux
3. Books are still very helpful.
4. around $300 CAD

I am curious because I am once again working in the computer book industry,
but these questions are not related to any market research or assignment.

Lois Patterson

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr