Re: Two Job PostingTrends

Subject: Re: Two Job PostingTrends
From: Sabahat Ashraf <sabahat -at- viragelogic -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2001 17:31:23 -0800

Bruce Byfield wrote:

> Over the last couple of months, I've noticed two new trends in
> job-posting in the Vancouver area:
>
> - on-line application forms: 14 months ago, these barely existed. Now, a
> growing number of companies are using them. <details snipped>
>
> - future reference applications: These listings make clear that the
> company isn't hiring now, but is interested in hearing from applicants
> for possible future openings. This trend is probably a response to the
> current recession, <details snipped>
>
> I was wondering: are these trends appearing elsewhere?

I would put both of those in the category of "... because employers can
now afford to/have to" because of this now being a "buyer's market", so
to speak. Of course, IM-not-so-HO *this* is what a normal job market
looks like -- it was the period from about the middle of 1997 till the
end of 2000 that was the kind of story you and I will be telling our
grandchildren about ... "... young man, back in the dotCom days, they
used to *pay* to make you accept a job offer ..."

Happy Tuesday,

Sabahat.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr