RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: quills -at- airmail -dot- net
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 23:22:51 -0600

At 7:46 PM -0600 11/5/01, Earl Cooley wrote:

Pete Sanborn wrote:
Steve Hudson wrote:
"ISO9001 was the end-result of a large number of large companies
seeking to improve their processes through consistant application
of solid principles."

Sorry, Steve, I have to jump in on this one. ISO, if you carefully
read their standards, is not and never has been, nor will it ever be
a guarantee of quality products (or documentation). Boiled down to
bare bones, ISO simply states that IF you have a process, you must
follow it. Too many folks got on the bandwagon early and proclaimed
that ISO 900X would save the world from shoddy workmanship and crappy
products. In my experience, ISO doesn't even guarantee that you have
to follow your process if you have an escape clause for every process
that allows a supervisor or SME to sign a waiver for the process.

I was shocked to discover that the tire manufacturing plant that was
in the news a while back as responsible for the numerous car crashes
turned out to be ISO 900x certified. <shudder>

--

Yeah, they met their own low standards.

Scott

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr