RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: RE: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: "Earl Cooley" <shiva -at- io -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 19:46:58 -0600

Pete Sanborn wrote:
> Steve Hudson wrote:
>> "ISO9001 was the end-result of a large number of large companies
>> seeking to improve their processes through consistant application
>> of solid principles."
>
> Sorry, Steve, I have to jump in on this one. ISO, if you carefully
> read their standards, is not and never has been, nor will it ever be
> a guarantee of quality products (or documentation). Boiled down to
> bare bones, ISO simply states that IF you have a process, you must
> follow it. Too many folks got on the bandwagon early and proclaimed
> that ISO 900X would save the world from shoddy workmanship and crappy
> products. In my experience, ISO doesn't even guarantee that you have
> to follow your process if you have an escape clause for every process
> that allows a supervisor or SME to sign a waiver for the process.

I was shocked to discover that the tire manufacturing plant that was
in the news a while back as responsible for the numerous car crashes
turned out to be ISO 900x certified. <shudder>

--
e=sc^3 (shiva -at- io -dot- com) Earl Cooley III

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr