Re: Style guides - doc standards vs processes

Subject: Re: Style guides - doc standards vs processes
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 05 Nov 2001 18:47:19 -0800

Andrew Plato wrote:

> No. I believe the best road to take is one that develops slowly,
prudently, and realistically out of experience. That will involve the use
of some ad hoc control, some well defined processes, and a the willingness
to change. It usually boils down to people who have open minds,
established skills, and good sense of humor. It also means remaining
steadfast and true to the purpose and goals of a documentation department
- produce quality documentation.

Damn. For a running dog, capitalist-lackey with quaint ideas about unions :-), Andrew makes good sense. I really do think he's being realistic about how writing is done. After all, if proper process were the only thing needed to produce quality documentation, anybody could be a good tech-writer.

My own way of expressing what Andrew says is that strategy has a place, but tactics are always important. Processes can define general goals and some of the ways that should help you get there, but the specifics depend on the task and whatever's being documented. Since very few documentation jobs are identical and the writers often don't know the specifics in advance, processes always have to be flexible.

That said, I have to admit that I am often a lone writer, and have never worked with more than two other writers. I don't know the details of Andrew's background, but my impression is that his background is much the same as mine. So, I can't help wondering if I'd emphasize process more if I were trying to coordinate a larger group of writers.

"And still they stand triumphant and immense,
The silent lines of marble monuments,
And soon the writhing seas will cease to writhe,
The specks of gray ash float to rest, and there will be
Perfect peace...complete calm...the maximum of - Order."
- Leon Rosselson, "The World Police"

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr