Re: "They don't need no stinkin' documentation..."

Subject: Re: "They don't need no stinkin' documentation..."
From: Tom Murrell <trmurrell -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 12:39:29 -0800 (PST)

--- John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com> wrote:

> What message? That the software was easier to use and not subject to
> errors. As far as using the document to use the application...his
> response: "How should I know...I don't have a login and password for
> the application."
>
> Who is using MY document? Yup, technical support and user training.

Not to belittle the problem you raise, John, but after reading your post the
thought that came to mind was, "Know thy audience."

I see some logic in diving tech support and training more detail, real world
detail, on using the application than the sales force needs. Sales needs to
talk about all the neat things the software does and how it will help the
customer do what needs to be done faster/better/cheaper.

The working troops--particularly in tech support and training--need to know how
to make it work when it's being contrary. (I hate contrary software.) Now, one
could argue that once the sale is made, the users should have your document
over the sales document. And I can see an argument being made that the sales
folks need to know how to make the software look good when it's behaving
badly--error messages, hanging in loops, and other anti-social software
behavior--but that seems like an argument that lost.

So be glad somebody needs your document.

=====
Tom Murrell
Lead Technical Writer
Alliance Data Systems
Columbus, Ohio
mailto:tmurrell -at- columbus -dot- rr -dot- com
Personal Web Page - http://home.columbus.rr.com/murrell/index.html
Page Last Updated 07/15/01

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr