Re: Misunderstanding XML

Subject: Re: Misunderstanding XML
From: Gwyneth Runnings <gwyneth -at- look -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 09:26:47 -0800

Quark Xpress announced over a year ago that Quark 5.0 was coming and one of the features was publishing into XML. I went to one of their hoo ha's and got a t-shirt for listening to them tell us how great it would be. No doubt.

My question - where the heck is it? It was testing in beta last spring.

Gwyneth

Scott said:

There are not many tools that provide a
complete suite to address all of those concerns.

There are some, like FrameMaker + SGML that have
always provided the capability to produce XML in
well-formed and valid format.

XML has one major draw back at this point, and

Joe Miller said:

>Corel, the other major publishing software vendor, has bought
SoftQuad, an XML tools and systems vendor, and has publically
announced that they intend to integrate XML into both WordPerfect and
Ventura Publisher. I don't know about the plans for WordPerfect, but
Graham Brown, Corel's Executive VP for Business Applications, has
publically stated that the new version of Ventura is to go into beta
testing "this fall". Reading between the lines, I believe the testing
has already begun.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr