RE: Help without manuals

Subject: RE: Help without manuals
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2001 11:36:25 -0000

Hi,

This is a pretty common issue on the list...you may want to check the
archives (I'm certain that I've raised it before, for example).

As for the specifics of your question, I think hardware is a different ball
of wax than software. If you're a user working with HW, you need to be able
to refer to something, and unless all users have Palm Pilots or eBooks,
they're going to need a manual.

As for software, the trend away from printed manuals has been going on for
several years. I'm just implementing such a strategy for the second time
(that is, I'd already done it at another company about 18 months ago). The
first time I did it we received a little grumbling from customers, but we
did deliver the docs in both help system and PDF format. The approach--the
one you mention about going from help to PDF--that my team took is described
in an article at
http://www.darrenbarefoot.com/writingsamples/SingleSourcing.pdf. This
approach was pretty onerous. We undertook this route because we had
abandoned updating our Frame files months earlier, so our help system was
our most up-to-date source. We then had a requirement for a PDF version, so
we had no choice but to go help-to-PDF.

Thanks. DB.

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/media/techwr