RE: Strange Interview Practices?

Subject: RE: Strange Interview Practices?
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2001 10:21:00 -0800 (PST)

> But unless you really, really
> don't want to work for
> these people (in which case, why did you show up at
> the interview?) telling
> them that you think they're unprofessional is a tad
> counterproductive.

Given the scenario of not knowing ahead of time, it
could have seemed like a great company on paper, which
is why I would have shown up. Telling them their
interview practices - not them - are unprofessional is
not counterproductive, in my opinion. Rather it is
extremely productive. It brings my position on their
interviewing practices out at the onset and
illustrates that I have no interest in jumping through
hoops for a job. If they want to interview me in a
manner that is professional, confidential, and
deserving of my time (not just theirs), then they can
opt to do so. Failure on thier part to comply proves
that this is not a company at which I would be happy
working.

I will agree that having three candidates in a room
together is fairly beneficial to the interviewing
process, as you directly see who the strongest
candidate *appears* to be. But again, failure to make
this practice known to the interviewees ahead of time
is just bad practice. How do you determine the best
candidate in this case if they all prove to have
excellent technical writing abilities, when one
chooses not to step on toes and be objective, another
is extremely outgoing and wordy, and another is an
expert at talking out his/her arse? These three
personalities will slant the interview such that none
of the three will have a fair chance at scoring the
job.

If I am to take time out of my day to interview with
someone who may or may not offer me a job in an
environment I may or may not like, I want to know what
I'm walking into. Be fair to me and I'll be fair to
you. Surprise me unpleasantly and expect to receive a
similar gift in return.

Find a job, post your resume.
http://careers.yahoo.com

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp