Contracting Blues!

Subject: Contracting Blues!
From: Dave Weisbord <dweisbor -at- lsil -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 14:54:00 -0800

I am in a contracting situation which in a lot of ways is very good, but still
has me dazed, confused, and singin' the blues!

The Good: The pay is fine (for this market); the work is not high stress, nor am
I micro-managed; the contract is open ended (its been 9 months with no end date
yet).

The Bad: I have no idea when the contract will end and cannot plan. With the
industry the way it is, I could easily be let go with no notice, or I could
still be here 6 months from now. My goal is permanent employment. While I know
my work is respected here, there has been no indication that the contract will
turn permanent when the economy turns around.

Consequently, I continue to look for permanent employment, but there are few
jobs, as you all know. I am now considering getting more aggressive and wonder
whether I should just look for another contract. The last thing I want is to
find myself unemployed December 20th.

I wouldn't mind working here as a "captive" employee, but the organization is in
such a survival mode that the key supervisory staff barely notice me.

There is only one permanent writer, and she would definitely like me to stay,
but is too concerned about her own employment status to be much of a help to me.

Any suggestions? After all, I am still employed, but 9 months of uncertainty has
is getting to me. I would almost just as soon know an approx. end date so that I
can start planning.

Of course, perhaps I should just quityerbitchin'. In this economy a job is a
job.

Dave

custom cover design, and distribution to 25,00 retailers. Join our almost
10,000 published authors today. http://www.iuniverse.com/publish/default.asp