RE: Technical Writing Union

Subject: RE: Technical Writing Union
From: Iggy <iggy_1996dp -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:48:06 -0800 (PST)

I don't disagree so much with the idea you propose,
but is a union the answer? I think not. I use tact,
skill and self-respect to increase my wage. I use a
sharp eye and ear when interviewing to find companies
with good working conditions, and I could care less
about free self-service coffee (though I'll use it if
available).

If you don't conduct yourself as the person you want
them to treat you as, it won't happen. Plain and
simple. That's why I go all out during interviews -
not jumping through hoops (mine or theirs) to get the
job, but put my best foot forward and show them that
I'm an experienced professional by having the right
answers that don't compromise my position and by
controlling the interview with a smile.

9 out of 10 times we make the workplace into what it
is. A company wouldn't do something if it knew they
wouldn't be able to get away with it. So hold your
head up and be the best damned professional you can.
And when you see someone else who's being a corporate
punching bag, smack him/her upside the head and set
him/her straight!

You don't need a union to prove to your employer
you're worth a damn. If you do, you probably aren't.

My $0.02.

http://personals.yahoo.com