Re: Reviewer of Doom (was: RE: Secretary Proofing Manuals?)

Subject: Re: Reviewer of Doom (was: RE: Secretary Proofing Manuals?)
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 07:43:53 -0700 (PDT)

> Many have remarked that writers should feel lucky to have another
> pair of eyes reviewing their documents.

Just so you know the way it can be, for the first time in my career,
I have a core group of 4 who are the techwriter's dream come true.
Their names are Deidre, Mike, Donna, and Nancy (real names).

Deidre and Mike are the developers. Since they are the ones actualy
writing the applications, they perform technical review. If anything
needs to be demonstrated to me, Deidre'ss office is 15 minutes from
my home and I can stop by anytime to have something shown to me. I
also have her cell phone. Mike is in N Carolina, so he demonstrates
everything via Netmeeting. Since our production version is Siebel 3.4
and alot of what I'm writing for is for v3.5 currently in UAT, I get
to compare versions on everything I write.

Both of them turn around their review inside of 24 hours WITHOUT FAIL
via Word markup.

Donna and Nancy are Senior Project Managers and they check for
phrasing, policy compliance, language, and spelling. Nancy is in the
Bay area of CA and Donna sits 2 cubes in back of me.

Without fail, I get total turnaround inside of 48 hours.

Oh, yeah...my boss...sits across the isle, leaves me alone, lets mee
work from home when I think it is appropriate, doesn't question my
overtime, and copies me on anything going on that I may not be
included in. Yesterday, when my boss found out that we were
localizing the applications for other countris, he requested to that
steering committe that I be included from the beginning.

Its funny...not only does the gig pay well, but I find that I'm able
to actualy use my experience and end up looking better than I ever
have before.

Do I deal with some buttheads? Sure, but honestly, they are the
exception rather than the rule.

Did I mention that I'm also on vacation in Jamaica starting tomorow
for 8 days?

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer

http://personals.yahoo.com