Re: Secretary Proofing Manuals?

Subject: Re: Secretary Proofing Manuals?
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 18:25:11 -0400

You are absolutely right. This is the first lesson in professionalism I was taught when I got my first writing job (1968). Criticism (and proofreading corrections don't even rise to the level of what I would call criticism) is not about you; it is about the words on the paper. You are not the words. I see so many writers on this list who are miserable because they are still having trouble making that distinction.

It shouldn't even be hard; you shouldn't have to suck it up and suppress tears, rage, or anything else; you should just be thankful that someone cares enough to help you make your work better.

Dick

Cameron Consulting wrote:

I think a majority of writers feel this -- no matter what they are writing
about. The editing process can be cruel. When you work so hard on something
you consider it your baby...and you don't want anyone messing with your
baby. Sounds like all she is there to do is catch the boo-boo's that you may
miss. Heck, I'd love to have that. My editing gets done by the students who
use my books. As I teach, I find errors and make corrections for the next
semester. :)

Think of it this way -- everyone at a company is there to make sure the
other guy's work is represented well...thus making the company as a whole
look good. She's there to make sure you are represented well...you are there
to make sure the programmer's are represented well, etc...

New Mexico: attend the entire event or select a single day. For details and online registration, visit http://ieeepcs.org/2001