Re: any issues to changing page size?

Subject: Re: any issues to changing page size?
From: "Dick Margulis " <margulis -at- mail -dot- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 13:06:52 -0400

Mandy,

Bookman has a fairly large x-height. You can go to 10/12 text with no problem.

As for the gutter, you really need to find out how this will be bound before you design the page. If it is a lay-flat binding, you need less gutter than if it is perfect bound, obviously. But if it is any sort of loose-leaf (ring, spiral, wire-o, ...) you need to accommodate that, too; so the gutter will get wider. As a bare minimum for perfect binding, I think you could get away with 3/4 inch for a book of a few hundred pages, 1/2 inch for a thinner book. Keep your text column to 5 inches or less and you should be fine.

Dick