Re: Reading and Editing--thinking in pictures

Subject: Re: Reading and Editing--thinking in pictures
From: "Geneve Gil" <geneve -dot- gil -at- interwoven -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:07:54 -0500

Anyone interested in this discussion may want to check out Thinking in
Pictures, in which an autistic woman engineer with a Ph.D. describes what it
is to literally think purely in visuals. *Without language.* A book to make
you really notice how you think--and examine the premise that all thought is
rooted in linguistic cognition.

Thinking in Pictures : And Other Reports from My Life With Autism
by Temple Grandin, Oliver W. Sacks

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0679772898/ref=bxgy_sr_text_a/002-418
8211-0085652

excerpts from amazon's page:

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.com
Oliver Sacks calls Temple Grandin's first book--and the first picture of
autism from the inside--"quite extraordinary, unprecedented and, in a way,
unthinkable."
... Grandin's clear exposition of what it is like to "think in pictures" is
immensely mind-broadening and basically destroys a whole school of
philosophy (the one that declares language necessary for thought).

>From Booklist
After earning a doctoral degree, she undertook her first work project, which
was called the "Stairway to Heaven." Instrumental for her in developing that
and other methods for the humane treatment of food animals was her ability,
determined in some measure by her autism, to think in pictures, her profound
caring for the animals, and her engineering capabilities...