Re: PDF problem and question about what are appropriate topics for th---is list

Subject: Re: PDF problem and question about what are appropriate topics for th---is list
From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 09:26:51 -0400

Don't forget to mention that only the settings you can control are the ones
under File, Document Info. You CAN'T control the settings under File,
Preferences on the user's machine.

This is what was very confusing to me when I was initially researching this
a couple months ago. Adobe kept alluding to the fact that you could override
user settings, but it failed to mention exactly WHAT you could override.
Personally, in my case, it was a PDF presentation from the president of my
company in which he wanted to send the user a CD that would open in
full-screen mode and auto-advance every 5 seconds--which CANNOT be done.
(Hey, it was the president, I had no control over the format he chose.)

/Kelly

> I wrote:
>
> > > I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but Adobe lets you control
how
> > > a document looks when a user opens it.
>

> To which Kelly replied:
>
> > AAahhhh! Beware! Most of the settings you can set DO NOT carry over when
you
> > give the document to someone else (unless you first go to their machine
and
> > set the same settings as those on your machine). You may recall my
posting
> > on this topic a couple of months ago. I was trying to override the
user's
> > PDF settings so the ones I selected would show up. The verdict--after
much
> > fruitless searching--it can't be done.
>

> Here's a follow-up:
>
> Kelly and I e-mailed various PDFs back and forth to each other yesterday,
> and I was able to demonstrate that it CAN be done. You can control which
> page the document opens to, whether bookmarks or thumbnails appear, the
> zoom size, whether toolbars appear, etc.
>
> In Acrobat, use File, Document Info, Open, and set the parameters in the
> dialog box that appears. To test it, save your document, then close it and
> reopen it.
>
> Hope this is helpful - Acrobat really does give you a lot of control; you
> just need to know where to look. Now if only they'd improve their online
> help....
>

> - Keith Cronin

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001