Re: PDF problem and question about what are appropriate topics for th---is list

Subject: Re: PDF problem and question about what are appropriate topics for th---is list
From: kcronin -at- daleen -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 06:47:38 -0600

I wrote:

> > I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but Adobe lets you control how
> > a document looks when a user opens it.

To which Kelly replied:

> AAahhhh! Beware! Most of the settings you can set DO NOT carry over when you
> give the document to someone else (unless you first go to their machine and
> set the same settings as those on your machine). You may recall my posting
> on this topic a couple of months ago. I was trying to override the user's
> PDF settings so the ones I selected would show up. The verdict--after much
> fruitless searching--it can't be done.

Here's a follow-up:

Kelly and I e-mailed various PDFs back and forth to each other yesterday,
and I was able to demonstrate that it CAN be done. You can control which
page the document opens to, whether bookmarks or thumbnails appear, the
zoom size, whether toolbars appear, etc.

In Acrobat, use File, Document Info, Open, and set the parameters in the
dialog box that appears. To test it, save your document, then close it and
reopen it.

Hope this is helpful - Acrobat really does give you a lot of control; you
just need to know where to look. Now if only they'd improve their online
help....

- Keith Cronin

A person needs only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and
it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Announcing new options for IPCC 01, October 24-27 in Santa Fe.
Attend the entire event, select a single day, or sign up for
a Saturday postconference workshop. http://ieeepcs.org/2001