Re: Display or appear (Was: Can "either" be used if there are three or moreselections?)

Subject: Re: Display or appear (Was: Can "either" be used if there are three or moreselections?)
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 15:13:43 -0700

Laura_Hammett -at- scruggs -dot- com wrote:

> My team solves this dilemma in the following way:
>
> Use "displays". "Appears" implies a mystical, fairy-like presentation of
> material.
>
> Example:
>
> After you click New, the Product dialog displays.

I don't know: "displays" sounds to me like the dialog box suddenly shows
exhibitionist tendencies. :-)

Seriously, English is constructed so that the structure implies that inanimate
objects have volition and can act of their own accord. This is the case with
both "displays" and "appears;" you can make either one appear ridiculous if you
take a deliberately warped perspective, as I've done. If "appears" is more often
condemned, the reason is simply that the idea that it's mystical is more
widespread. Neither is really any better than the other.

The choice is entirely a matter of preference.

online registration, and more on http://ieeepcs.org/2001/